Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Oral Presentation



Alright then, it's time to move away from monotonous analysis posts and towards reviewing my own presentation. Yikes. Alright, so I decided I would put myself at a straight 16. I tried staying away from doing a shot by shot analysis of the entire extract, but I still started rambling on about certain points, and veering into new ones. I managed to stick to the general structure even though it wasn't required, and it helped in staying organized. I believe I had a clear reasoning for why the extract was chosen, although I could've made this clearer in the beginning. A major flaw in my presentation was my lack of film language. I was stuck between using film language gratuitously and not using it at all, and tried to put in the bare minimum. I wanted to avoid using film language in the wrong context. I think I had a good enough understanding of historical context and context in regards to Hitchcock. In summary, while I focused much on context, my actual analysis of the extract was lacking in detail.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work! You sound comfortable and knowledgeable. Some more background on Hitchcock's style and filmic interests might have helped. A good choice of extract. You can give a one sentence synopsis of how the scene operates in the larger narrative. Your use of film language is good. You can use the term "pacing" to refer to the speed of the cutting in the shot/reverse shot that relates to the dramatic tension in the dialogue scene. You do an excellent job of identifying the dramatic irony in the dialogue. We learn a lot about Norman's issues in the scene that help us get a glimpse of the troubles he faces. Good work! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete