Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Top 5 Favorite Films

I just want to start off with saying that my movie history is extremely limited. I’ve been metaphorically slapped for not watching certain films more times than I can count. I’ve watched enough films, however, to have a top 5 list of my favorite films and be satisfied with it.


Note: These aren’t arranged in order of watchability.


1. Fight Club



After hearing about it around fifteen thousand times from my friends, I actually had the chance to watch it for myself. I was not disappointed. Even now I’m sure I could watch that movie over again and again, it was just so darn GOOD. It wasn’t just the bloody action and occasional slow motion either. The lighting of the entire film gave it an atmosphere that perfectly fit the character’s actions and their personalities. And speaking of the personalities, the conflict between Norton and his counterpart really spoke to me on a deeper level, and I’m not trying to be cheesy when I say that. Welp. Either way, I felt like the conflict between them felt like one of the most natural I've ever seen.

2. Signs


Ever since watching this movie as a child I wanted to get a physical copy, and when I managed to get one a few years later, I realized that I still loved the film just as much as I did as a kid. It never struck me as cheesy or badly done. The horror elements that were played out were executed very well, even though quite a few were jump scares. Like with Fight Club, the relationships between the family felt very real to me, and that allows me to watch it many times. The soundtrack, too, added to the tone of the movie and gave the intense moments an even better touch.


3. Inception



As soon as I saw the debut trailer for this film I knew I was going to love it. For once, a film about a medium in which anything is possible, the world of dreams. Also, a kicking rad soundtrack. Numerous things made this film one of my favorite films of all time. The fight scenes were fairly decent for Nolan, and the usage of the soundtrack in conjunction with the action scenes was perfect, and had me riveted to my seat the first time I watched it. Later, it was the story that caught me, with the deeper story of Cobb when examined a second time. 
4. 2001: A Space Odyssey



Ah, yes, this film. The film that I watched for the first time from the side while talking to a friend for the entire 3 hours. And yet I still managed to understand the plot. Being a mad science fiction fan with every single book and almost every movie he owns being sci-fi, this film might seem like an obvious choice. I’ll be completely honest, though, the 3 hours IS an easy way to fall asleep, no doubt about it. It’s a silent movie, with a lot of space, literally. But it’s a film with one of the most realistic depictions of space travel and physics that I have ever seen, and I’ve seen quite a few science fiction films. The plot, while very...very...well, while very DRAWN OUT, is very powerful when one really pays attention. For someone like me, that made the film extraordinary.


5. Hot Fuzz



Hot Fuzz. I had only heard of Shaun of the Dead recently, and I had no idea what Hot Fuzz was at that time. All I knew was that they were related, and that many people loved them. It wasn't until I watched both that I understood why, but Hot Fuzz was the film that stood out to me. It had a take on violence, humor, and plot twists that I had rarely seen in any film before it. Maybe that shouldn't be surprising since it's British, and thus should be different to some degree, but it was still a breath of fresh air. 

3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with Signs being a film that amazed me when I was a child. I was a bit taken back when you said that there was criticism in terms of bad effects or not so effective producing.... I HAD NO IDEA. Like I was seriously as shocked as you are, I too believe it was a great film and I loved it more for it's dip into the world of science fiction along with the themes of a family's unconditional love. I agree with Fight Club, and I did find Hot Fuzz to be interesting as well. :) Of course I've always found British films to have a sense of humour that just never clicked in my head; not saying all films are generally so, definitely not Hot Fuzz, but sometimes there are jokes that go over my head. Anyways great job! :DDD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can clearly see that your genre interest is science fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Stanley Kubrick fan, I will say 2001 is a great film. Slow, but wonderous. I also really enjoyed Hot Fuzz because of the nice editing. HOWEVER I have not seen signs but can guess that it might be cheesy, from the M night Shamalyan above the title. Was it a twist ending? HOWEVER I ALSO HATED FIGHT CLUB. I THOUGHT IT WAS OVERATED AMD SILLY. I like your mention of critisim of bad effects and think your example of child nostalgia effecting your vision as me to medieval 80's fantasy.

    ReplyDelete